I am an Engineer and I often work with computers and electronics products. In my line of work, there are times when these products may become non-functional due to one reason or the other – a computer for example may become frozen during operation. On many occasions, I have been able to resolve this issue and restore the product back to operation by rebooting the computer or simply hitting the reset button on the electronics products.
Just like the computers, you may also require a reset in some areas of your life. A reset can provide you an opportunity to evaluate your position or situation in life and empower you to clean out old habits and start on a fresh note. It can also allow you to correct any mistakes you might have made in the past.
You may need to reset your spending habits and start following your budget in order to save more money or pay off your debt. You may need a reset health wise by ensuring that you eat healthy and get some exercise or adequate rest as the case may be. You may consider using a reset to rejuvenate your relationship by making sure that you treat the other person right. You can use the opportunity of a reset to boost your career by making sure that you become more involved and engaged and help meet organizational objectives.
Resetting an electronic product is a lot simple, all you need to do is to hit the reset button and the product will soon be back in operation. The idea of a reset in humans can be complex because we do not have any physical button that can be pressed to quickly reprogram and relaunch us. Despite this fact, you still have the potential of performing a reset to help you recharge and take control of any area of your life. Here are some suggestions on how to reset, recharge, and take control of your life;
Three Stages of Performing a Reset.
- Take time out:This involves creating some time for yourself to assess your situation in life. This is your “me-time”, the focus will be on you and your priorities in life. The purpose of this exercise is for you to determine and decide the areas of your life where you need a reset. This time out will provide opportunity for you to determine where you need the reset. Do you need a reset in your finances, relationship, career, or spiritual life? Think about it and come up with a plan that will help you to achieve your goals. A good practice here is to write your thoughts in a book and include some timeline in terms of when you want to start noticing results.
- Perform a life audit:After you have identified the areas of life where you need a reset, the next thing is to perform a life audit. Life audit involves asking yourself thoughts provoking questions. Ask as many questions as possible regarding your current situation and what needs to change. For example, if you are struggling in your finances, a life audit will include evaluation of your income, expenses, budget, and what you need to do to earn more or cut down your expenses. Life audit will help you put things in perspectives as you find meaning to your life. Here are some random questions that can help you get started:
Life Audit Questions
- What is important and meaningful to you?
- What do I want to do in 5, 10, 20, years?
- What is my purpose?
- What needs to change for your situation to change?
- Is there something that you want to change about your current situation?
- What do you need to know or learn or do to be where you want to be?
- Who do you need to help you to change the situation?
- What brings most satisfaction to you?
- What things are most important to you?
- What is your passion and what do you enjoy doing most?
- Who are the people that you want around you?
- Are there relationships that you need to end?
- What steps do you need to take to change those things that you found less desirable?
- Become intentional.Finally, here is where you put actions behind your plans. This is where you will start finding answers to questions you asked in the life audit. For example, if your issue is that you are broke and not making enough money. In life audit, one of your question should be, “how can you increase your income?”. At this stage, you will come up with different ideas of making money. And you should be prepared to take the necessary steps that will ensure you increase your income. One of your answers here maybe to get extra job or even change your current job to boost your income. Whatever the solution you come up with, you should be committed to stay the course to achieve your reset goal.
Many people live their lives in default mode. This is like letting the electronic products go without any maintenance or ignoring the manufacturer’s recommendations. For example, the product may have optimum performance at certain room temperature, or under certain vibration level. You can expect mal-operation and lesser reliability when you do not conform to the recommendations from the manufacturer. In the same way, if you live by chance, without some form of regular reassessment or reset, you will not be able to be your best. You will be allowing the actions of other people dictate your life and you will not be able to achieve any meaningful results because of lack of intentionality in certain area of life. Resetting will help you assess your situation and make necessary adjustment, if need be. Do you need a reset today?